Prospect Research SpecialistCompany: Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Date Posted: November 8, 2017
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
SAIT’s Alumni and Development department is a first-class team of fundraisers, communicators, event planners and relationship-builders. Last year, the team helped plan and execute SAIT’s centennial program – the biggest celebration in SAIT’s history, produced the award-winning LINK magazine and raising more than $12 million dollars in support of SAIT’s students. We continually seek to raise the bar, improve our practices and showcase creativity. We are committed to delivering an innovative, informative and pride-producing stakeholder relations program, with a keen focus on our more than 228,000 alumni.
Reporting to the Research Services Coordinator, the Prospect Research Specialist is responsible for utilizing research resources to maximize the Institution's fundraising goals and support a greater engagement of the existing development team in cultivation and solicitation activities. You have excellent research and organizational skills, are an effective writer, and are persistent and imaginative in devising new ways to secure and analyze information of critical importance to the fundraising activities. Additionally, you are highly organized and will hold the highest standards of confidentiality, quality and accuracy.
Prospect Identification and Qualification
- Create and update prospect profiles and research papers to evaluate relationships
- Perform in-depth library and electronic research
- Mine current database to maximize financial support
- Use various media sources to gather donor prospect information
- Maintain and build prospect management database
Data Analysis and Report Writing
- Identify, analyze and interpret data on a variety of issues, and opportunities
- Conduct competitive analysis and report any changes in trends or issues
- Proactively perform ongoing research on economic, social and political trends and factors
- Proactively perform ongoing research about industry indicators to help identify emerging fundraising opportunities or threats within specific sectors.
- Analyze and produce thoroughly researched, well-written reports explaining analysis, interpret findings, and outline recommendations
- Continual review and analyze development officers’ portfolios
- Identify areas critical to enhance donor and prospect pipeline
- Identify and qualify new prospects for development officers to ensure they maintain a healthy pipeline
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (preferable in Library Science, History, English or Communications). Master’s degree in a related field such as Library and Information studies is preferred.
- Non-Profit Management Certificate provided by the Association of Fundraising Professionals or the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement is an asset.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in fundraising research for a nonprofit institution.
- Direct experience in researching individuals and corporations for the purpose of identifying prospects for fundraising activities.
- Equivalent professional experience in an analytical, research or informational specialist role within an academic nonprofit corporate or consulting environment will be considered.
- Knowledge of research techniques, fundraising and its implications, online information sources and research media.
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; and Internet search/access capabilities to identify and research prospects.
- Knowledge of Banner ERP is an asset.
- Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented, possessing the ability to multi-task and work independently in a deadline driven environment.
Why Work at SAIT:
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Closing Date & Time: Open until a suitable candidate is found. However, we will begin selecting candidates for interviews November 29, 2017.
If you have any questions about the role please contact email@example.com. Please do not apply to this email address; all applications should be made through our online system.
- SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education