Development ManagerCompany: Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta
Date Posted: November 7, 2017
Kids Cancer Care
Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta is passionately dedicated to helping young people affected by cancer and their families survive and thrive in body, mind and spirit. With a vision of providing a cure for every child and care for every family, Kids Cancer Care strives to end childhood cancer, while easing the pain and suffering of the disease through three key program areas: 1. Camp and Outreach; 2. Research and Hospital; and Education Support and Scholarship.
At Kids Cancer Care, we consider it an honour and privilege to do the work we do. We get to help deserving children and families and we get to see our community at its finest —volunteering, donating, hosting fundraisers and helping others.
We love our work and we love the children and families we serve. We take our jobs seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We pride ourselves on having a fun, vibrant and sometimes quirky team that works, laughs, cries, eats, plays and celebrates together.
We value different perspectives and innovative thinking. We like to surround ourselves with creative, kind and passionate people and we encourage all qualified persons of any ability, gender, ethnic background or origin to apply.
This is a permanent full-time management position reporting to the Director of Philanthropy.
The primary focus of this role is to ensure sustainable philanthropic support and to enhance the image of Kids Cancer Care so that we can meet our annual and long-term community and financial objectives. Key responsibilities include developing and implementing fundraising strategies that will cultivate relationships with individuals, foundations and corporations to secure major philanthropic gifts and sponsorship as well as manage special campaigns.
Reporting directly to the Director of Philanthropy, the manager will actively support Kids Cancer Care’s strategic and operational planning and will be responsible for the preparation and monitoring of related budgets and key performance measures. The incumbent will also provide support to the Board and the Fundraising and Donor Relations Committee through the Director of Philanthropy.
The Development Manager will ensure that all development efforts further the fundraising objectives and support the vision, mission and values of KCC. This position will manage, and contribute to, the performance of a highly motivated team carrying out development initiatives.
The candidate will enjoy meeting people. He/she will have a track record for achieving fundraising goals and will be an effective project manager, with excellent planning, budgeting, analytic and organizational abilities. The position requires strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communications abilities, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit and a team player. Knowledge of Calgary’s, Alberta’s and Canada’s business sectors, as well as experience in a variety of solicitation methods is important.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Develop, build and maintain key relationships with existing and prospective corporate, individual and foundation donors to increase support;
- Contribute to setting and achieving goals for growth of the major gift program including a prospecting strategy;
- Prepare and edit proposals, monitor proposal deadlines and manage proposal submissions;
- Grow and manage KCC’s Giving Society and create new opportunities to give;
- Manage and secure KCC’s sponsorships for all signature events;
- Create individualized donor/prospect cultivation and stewardship plans;
- Promote organizational funding priorities within the larger community;
- Coordinate regular reporting on funds raised; and,
- Document and maintain records in Raiser’s Edge.
- Establish and manage an annual operational plan with specific responsibility for major gifts, sponsorship, granting agencies and giving societies.
- In concert with the entire development team create and execute a comprehensive three-year strategic revenue development plan.
- Prepare and monitor annual revenue budgets on a monthly basis with the Director of Philanthropy.
- Work with the development team to integrate fundraising opportunities into KCC’s strategic and program plans.
- Plan and ensure the proper day to day use of The Raiser’s Edge and AKA New Media’s raisin in support of all KCC’s giving. The Manager will also actively support our database and technology platforms to aid in donor stewardship and the accurate and timely reporting of fundraising results.
- Be an integral part of the donor stewardship program that serves to enhance the success of all events and giving platforms for the overall success of the fund development program.
- Ensure fundraising activities are in compliance with KCC policies, CRA, Service Alberta and AGLC regulations and guidelines.
Fundraising and Marketing
- Research and secure new major gifts and sponsors;
- Monitor and apply for foundation and government grant programs for which KCC is eligible;
- In concert with the Manager of Communications, establish the case for support for charitable and philanthropic support and promote KCC as a worthy beneficiary through various marketing initiatives.
- Ensure the needs of the Foundation are aligned with signature event objectives and current and potential sponsors;
- Promote KCC as a worthy beneficiary through various marketing initiatives;
- Provide support to the Events & Community Relations team on event sponsorship for signature events.
- Ensure appropriate stewardship takes place with event sponsors, major gift donors, other non-profits; giving society donors, and special campaigns and projects;
- Enthusiastically communicate the mission and vision of the Foundation through verbal and written communications;
- Attend events and liaise with participants;
- Give speeches and presentations to current and prospective donors sponsors and other non-profits;
- Work with the KCC team of staff and volunteers to ensure success of program areas;
- Bring creativity and enthusiasm to the workplace.
Education, Certifications and Proficiencies
- At least five years of experience in a major gifts and sponsorship portfolio;
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of corporate and foundation fundraising;
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing as well as prospect research methodology;
- CFRE designation or working towards designation;
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills;
- Effective time management and planning abilities;
- Strong computer skills and proficient with all Microsoft office applications;
- Demonstrated database proficiency required, experience with Raiser’s Edge and raisin on-line fundraising system considered an asset;
- Valid Alberta Driver’s Licence;
- Police and vulnerable sectors check required (new or done within the last three months);
- Ambitious and enjoys building relationships in the community.
- Knowledgeable and stays current with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Service Alberta regulations and guidelines regarding fundraising in Canada and specifically, Alberta;
- Knowledgeable and stays current with Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission (AGLC) legislation, regulation and policy related to charitable groups;
- Ensure that all KCC fund development activities, for both staff and volunteer participants, are fully compliant with both the AFP Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice and the Imagine Canada’s Code of Ethical Conduct;
- Maintain or achieve a CFRE designation; and
- Stay well-informed of news, activities and trends in the non-profit sector.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package commensurate with experience.
This posting will remain open until noon on Thursday, December 7, 2017 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Please send a cover letter and resume with Development Manager in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org and adressed to:
Christine McIver, M.S.M., LLD, CFRE
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta
609 14 Street N W, Suite 302
Calgary, AB T2N 2A1
For more information on Kids Cancer Care and our work, please visit us at kidscancercare.ab.ca.
Note: We prefer to receive applications by email. We are grateful to everyone who applies, but only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.