Fund Development Officer, Leadership Giving & Corporate RelationsCompany: MS Society of Canada, Alberta & NWT Division
Date Posted: November 2, 2017
Fund Development Officer, Leadership Giving & Corporate Relations
MS Society of Canada, Alberta & NWT Division
Canada has one of the highest rates of multiple sclerosis in the world, making MS Canada’s disease. The MS Society of Canada is the country’s leading MS advocate, funding leading research in MS and programs & services that help people live well with the disease.
The Position: Reporting to the Director, the Fund Development Officer will support activities in two growing and dynamic programs at the MS Society – Alberta & NWT Division: leadership giving and corporate relations/sponsorship.
Within the major gift portfolio, your duties will include helping to shape and build a growing program through cultivation and stewardship activities, researching, building, and managing a major donor caseload, and developing new relationships with individuals and companies interested in having an impact on “Canada’s Disease” through customized, philanthropic giving. Your donor-centric relationship approach will build strong and meaningful relationships with current donors and inspire new donors to join our cause and make a difference.
To compliment your efforts working with major donors, you will also assist with corporate relations activities, specifically sponsorship activation as it relates to the MS Society signature events like MS Bike and MS Walk, as well as various other MS Society fundraising events. Your understanding of best practice sponsorship approaches and a “customer first” attitude will guide you, resulting in revenue growth, new opportunities, and enhancement of the MS Society event participant experience.
The ideal candidate will be an individual who has professional experience in fundraising, building one-on-one relationships with important donors and corporate partners. This position involves out of office meetings with important stakeholders and individuals, with occasional travel within Alberta.
This is a position of trust. The incumbent will be required to complete the screening process including completion of appropriate background checks in compliance with the National Screening Measures Policy.
- Act as a co-lead with the Director, Leadership Giving & Corporate Relations, in the development of a dynamic, detailed, and strategic major gift program, that includes stewardship and cultivation events, donor database research, and donor pipeline development.
- With a donor-centric approach, develop compelling and impactful donor opportunities for existing and new MS Society major donors.
- Build and manage a robust donor caseload and serve your donors’ interests while achieving the MS Society’s mission to be a leader in funding research and community programs.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders, donors, and organizations in order to advance MS research awareness in Alberta.
- Act as a key resource for donors, volunteers, and other staff as it relates to MS Society funded research, including the MS Society’s accelerating research campaign, endMS Whatever It Takes.
- Competently manage and update a donor database to track activities and opportunities.
- Grow donor revenue through donor-centric relationship management approaches.
Corporate Relations & Sponsorship:
- Under direction of the Director, Leadership Giving and Corporate Relations, follow best-practice sponsorship concepts from sponsorship prospecting, proposal writing, activation and delivery, and reporting.
- Manage the activation of partnership agreements with MS Society sponsors, to ensure fulfillment of all agreements and over-deliver wherever possible.
- Take relationship lead on high-profile accounts and ensure over-delivery of program results.
- Work with fund development team in prospecting for new corporate partners, development of sellable opportunities, and meeting with new prospects in an ongoing fashion.
- Grow Corporate Sponsorship revenue within all event programs, such as MS Society signature events MS Bike and MS Walk.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University with two or more years working as a professional fundraiser in the non-profit or fundraising industry, ideally within a major gift program, or the equivalent education and experience
- Experience with best-practice sponsorship concepts, including prospecting and proposal writing is required.
- A valid drivers licence is required.
- AFP membership is considered an asset.
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong relationship building skills with a diverse groups – individuals, corporate, and volunteers.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal (presentations) and written (proposals).
- Experience managing and updating a CRM system.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with all Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to function independently and in collaboration with staff, and volunteers
- Ability to represent the MS Society in a manner appropriate to the values and culture of the organization.
- Excellent problem solving ability with sound judgment and discretion.
Location: Edmonton or Calgary
- Occasional travel within Alberta
- Occasional evening and weekend work
Position to remain open until appropriate candidate has been identified. Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Graham Metzger, Director, Corporate Relations & Leadership Giving
MS Society of Canada, Alberta & NWT Division
The MS Society has a bold vision for the future. We have a team of dedicated professionals who share a common goal to end MS and to improve the lives of those affected by MS. We strive to be an employer of choice and provide a working environment that values diversity, team work, and professional development. The MS Society of Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. More information about the MS Society is available at www.mssociety.ca.