Development Officer - IndividualsCompany: Between Friends
Date Posted: October 27, 2017
Fund Development Officer - Individuals
Between Friends is a charitable organization dedicated to providing quality social recreation and self-development opportunities for people with disabilities to connect, grow and belong.
The Fund Development Department exists to gather resources in order to serve the membership of Between Friends. The department focusses on building relationships with donors and causing mutually satisfying transactions at an agreed upon and acceptable return on investment.
It provides guidance in establishing and implementing a wide range of fund development policies and procedures for individual donors, contributing members & personnel, small to medium sized businesses (SMB), corporations, foundations and other organizations.
The Department is committed to offering exceptional fundraising services, knowledge, and counsel to donors, prospective donors, members and personnel of Between Friends.
The Fund Development Officer - Individuals, under the supervision of the CEO will create, nurture, and maintain relationships that (ideally) result in charitable contributions. The incumbent will work within a team environment and will also be able to work with a high degree of independence, keeping his/her supervisor informed of unanticipated issues or controversies that may arise and recommending actions and solutions to such situations. Completed work is reviewed for soundness of overall approach and conformance with board and management policies, and adherence to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards.
The incumbent is responsible for planning a fund-raising strategy, utilizing a sales lens using a contact management system directed towards individuals and (SMB). In this capacity, he or she works closely with senior managers in establishing funding priorities and advises them on trends in the philanthropic world which affect organizational priorities. The incumbent is responsible for developing, in concert with each manager, a sound development plan and set of procedures, to insure good working relationships between fund development and each department to facilitate the efficient pursuit of individual funding.
Board & Committee Relations
- As requested and approved by the CEO, provide the information/support necessary to inform and engage the board of directors/committees in the fund development process.
- Represent Between Friends at events and in public in a professional manner always maintaining the integrity of the Between Friends brand.
Financial, Risk & Operations Management
- Identify leads, research and assess new funding opportunities
- Track research information in the E-Tapestry donor database, develop a contact management strategy and follow up on leads
- Through the research process identify appropriate prospects for funding and develop an effective strategy for approaching and converting to donors. Strategies may include, but are not limited to; cold calling, meeting to discuss Between Friends opportunities, engaging in volunteering opportunities.
- Develop existing networks and develop strategies for creating new networks to foster
- Research fund development policies & procedures that may impact fundraising
- Actively manage and maintain contact with existing and prospective donors
- With the Marketing & Communications Coordinator, strategically develop opportunities for Between Friends to promote awareness of our continuum of services (including our inclusion services) in order to attract new prospective donors
- Expand the donor base through the creation of new networks and expansion of existing relationships
- Possess an understanding of current philanthropic and public relations interests of individuals, acquired through regular contact with those individuals
- Maintain the necessary relationships to keep Between Friends name and achievements alive in the minds of individual donors.
- Either alone or with other personnel, approach prospective donors or negotiate the terms of their support to Between Friends.
- Maintain records of all past and current approaches so as to avoid unnecessary and undesirable conflicts.
- Through relationships with individuals obtain support for events, by inviting sponsorship, attendance, ticket purchase, etc.
- As part of the team, assist with planning and implementing fundraising events as requested by the Events & Operations Coordinator
- Must attend donor related events and activities
- Lead, create and coordinate annual giving campaigns.
- Communicate with annual donors to ensure their continued support prior to the start of each year.
- Coordinate with Marketing & Communications Coordinator to create eye-catching campaign materials and donor communication.
- Lead donor retention through a contact management strategy
- Maintain and develop key donor relationships
- Ensure stewardship reports for donors are completed and ensure they are distributed by their Key Relationship Manager
- Contribute content to the donor quarterly newsletter and ensure its distribution to donors as appropriate
- Liaise with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to ensure stewardship agreements have been fulfilled online and in external materials
- With the CEO & Consultants as necessary advance the Planned Giving Program with a goal to increase the number of planned gifts that Between Friends is aware of.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to develop materials
- Identify potential planned giving candidates and determine an appropriate approach
- Join Leave a Legacy Calgary and market this opportunity to individual donors.
- Assist with the budgeting process and provide variance explanations for financial statements quarterly
- Ensure correct coding on deposits for all donor related funds
- Ensure correct coding on all credit card reports
- Communicate with Operations Manager to ensure budgets and recording are accurate
- Complete program visits to stay connected to Between Friends programming and to provide oversight and leadership to program personnel
- Be knowledgeable of program and agency policies and procedures.
- Attend program special events as requested
- Actively participate as a member of the team
- Provide leadership, orientation, training, supervision and support to other personnel (either paid or volunteer) assigned.
Complete other duties that may be reasonably requested by the CEO to contribute to the achievement of the organization’s objectives.
All employees must adhere to the Policies and Procedures of
Application Deadline: November 6, 2017 11:59 pm MST
Start Date: January 2, 2017 8:30 a.m.
Salary: Please provide salary expectations in cover letter
Location of Work: 205, 8989 Macleod Trail S
Hours of work: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Evening and weekends may be required. Notice will be provided.
- Post-secondary education required with preference given to those possessing a post-secondary degree in a related field.
- Completion of Fund Development Courses and desire to work towards the CFRE an asset
- Three (3) – five (5) years of experience in Fund Development and Donor Relations
- Must complete and be clear of a Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Clearance Check.
- The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, and possess excellent interpersonal communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
- Personable, extroverted and able to develop a positive rapport with donors with a diversity of experience and backgrounds.
- Excited to connect with people and build personal relationships, using telephone and in person contact
- Software proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, is required;
- Familiarity with donor databases is required; experience with E-Tapestry specifically is an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong initiative and relationship-building orientation;
- Problem solving and organizational skills; attention to detail is imperative
- Demonstrated high energy level and flexibility, pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment; flexible, discreet and able to maintain confidential information, knowledge of correct protocol for specific situations.
- Current First Aid and CPR (Level C) required or willingness to attain upon hire.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations in the cover letter. Submit your applications to the following:
We appreciate all applications, but only those being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.