Development OfficerCompany: Bow Valley College
Date Posted: August 2, 2017
Bow Valley College contributes to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services. We equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College? We have been named one of Alberta's Top 70 Employers for 2017. Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
We are currently accepting applications for the role of Development Officer.
This position will report directly to the Director, Principal Gifts and will be responsible for donor acquisition, donor retention and will have a philanthropic portfolio of accounts to manage and steward. This role will also work in a team environment and will strategically manage all prospect and donor assigned files that have been assessed through a Linkage Interest and ability rating process. This position will also be responsible for a portfolio of foundational and corporate clients where grant writing will be important.
Specific areas of responsibility will include:
Integrated Fundraising Campaign – 55%
- Campaign Plan
- Contribute to the structure and delivery of a comprehensive integrated fundraising campaign that will include targets for Major Gifts, Annual Fund, Planned Giving, Corporations and Foundations, and Donor stewardship
- Campaign Goal
- Responsible for securing and managing a defined number of prospects, primarily at the major gift level, including individuals, corporations and foundations
Stewardship & Donor Relations – 20%
- Responsibility (in collaboration with other members of Development team) for the hands on stewardship of all donors to Bow Valley College. The primary goal is to make the relationship more meaningful and cultivate increased support from the donor for BVC. The Stewardship Officer manages stewardship of donors and this position will be working collaboratively on that outreach. This position will be responsible for ensuring effective stewardship of all donors in their portfolio, drawing on the work of the Stewardship Officer.
Grant & Proposal Writing – 10%
Design the strategy and approach to all foundations and prospective donors under the direction of the Director, Principal Gifts.
- Identify possible sources of funding
- Research and maintain up-to-date files of funding opportunities (corporate, foundation, individual, etc.)
- Maintain contact with key personnel and stay current on funding interests of private and government agencies
- Regularly scan websites of fundraising databases (i.e. Big Online)
- Establish and maintain procedures for proposal preparation and submission
- Matching departmental priorities for funding opportunities
- Convey information to faculty and development team regarding external grant programs and proposal deadlines
- Obtain appropriate institutional signatures and authorizations
- Present workshop and informational program opportunities to faculties and coordinators and other team members in order to expand capacity of proposal writing (in consultation and coordination with the Director, Principal Gifts
- Review all submissions for this portfolio prior to submission
- Participate in grants management activities
- Maintain database of proposal and grant activity
Database Management – 10%
- Raiser’s Edge Database
- Enter contact reports
- Enter proposal submissions
- Pull donor files and reports that will assist in analysis and strategizing around prospects, suspects and donors
Campaign – 5%
- Research foundation funding opportunities for campaign
- Write and submit proposals on behalf of the College based on campaign priorities
- Liaise with the Annual Fund Officer on the implementation strategy of the Choices Campaign. This is primarily a collaborative role for strategizing.
Provides support and partnership on events with the Communication department that will impact the Fund Development portfolio. These events will play a key role in connecting the faculty and staff to the donor base of Bow Valley College.
- Play a key role in the delivery of events to engage the community from a philanthropic perspective. , such as:
- Celebrating Student Futures (Awards Ceremony)
- Art Event
- Annual Golf Tournament
- Premier’s Luncheon
- Department initiated events to profile and bring awareness of needs
- Institutional events
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred: Non-profit management, Business or Communications; Public Relations,
- 4 to 6 of experience in fundraising and development
- An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
Database Management (Raiser Edge)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- MS Office
- Connections within the Calgary community and philanthropic environment
- Demonstrated success in fundraising a significant asset