Director of Development, Student Awards and Strategic Initiatives, Development & Alumni EngagementCompany: University of Calgary
Date Posted: August 1, 2017
Development & Alumni Engagement is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Director of Development, Student Awards and Strategic Initiatives.
The University of Calgary entered the public phase of a $1.3B Comprehensive Campaign on April 29, 2016. Energize: the Campaign for Eyes High is a university-wide initiative designed to significantly increase philanthropic revenue to the University. It is the single most ambitious philanthropic program ever undertaken by the University and among the largest comprehensive fundraising campaigns in Canadian history.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Development in the Development and Alumni Engagement (DAE) Office. The Director of Development, Student Awards and Strategic Initiatives will oversee fundraising for Student Awards and lead in the development of other fundraising initiatives in the areas of student leadership and transformative learning. The Director will work closely with the offices of the Chancellor and Senate, Student Awards and Financial Aid, the Faculty of Graduate Studies, faculties, the University's DAE Office, and other relevant areas of the university. Flexible work hours to meet stakeholder needs, occasional evenings and over time may be required.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Ability to secure major gifts in support of student awards (graduate and undergraduate) and institutional strategic priorities
- Possess good listening and negotiation skills as well as sound judgment and decision making capabilities
- Ability to work effectively in a large, complex, dynamic and sophisticated organization
- Respect for confidentiality and strong sense of professional ethics
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Build and maintain effective relationships with volunteers in the community, alumni and with University staff and senior administrators to ensure appropriate involvement and consultation in securing gifts
- Responsible for working closely with Student and Enrolment Services team and the Faculty of Graduate studies to secure financial support for institutional student success programs, including, Student Awards
- Regular meetings and updates to the Senior Director to ensure the fund development team can achieve success
- Comply with all relevant university policies, Canada Revenue Agency guidelines and regulations, and ensure all appropriate donor records are maintained within the guidelines of FOIP
- Knowledge of Raiser's Edge fundraising software an asset
Qualifications / Requirements:
- University degree and minimum of 3-5 years directly related experience, preferably in a fundraising or post-secondary educational setting
- Demonstrated experience in annual and major gift solicitations required
- Management of a prospect pipeline working with donors in identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship phases
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Sound judgment and decision-making capabilities and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organization skills and proven leadership ability
- Ability to manage a small team of professionals and coach and train others about the field of fundraising
- Good teaching and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage relationships
- Honesty, integrity, high standards, understanding and commitment to an academic environment
- Innovation, ability to motivate others and a passion for what you do
Application Deadline: August 24, 2017. Please submit application directly at http://careers.ucalgary.ca/.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Professional Career Band, Level P4 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about Development & Alumni Engagement visit http://development.careers.ucalgary.ca/.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.