Major Gifts ManagerCompany: The Mustard Seed
Date Posted: May 10, 2017
The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
Major Gifts Manager
The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing
for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
Working in concert with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and the Development management team, the Major Gifts Manager is responsible for raising funds in support of The Mustard Seed’s programs and capital needs. The role is to cultivate, solicit and oversee donor stewardship, through championing a Relationship Management fundraising philosophy.
The incumbent is accountable for the effective development, implementation and execution of a regional strategic Major Gift fundraising plan, as well as the management of an active fundraising portfolio consisting of 75 to 150 accounts.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Incumbent is responsible for ensuring meaningful donor interactions activities and financial fundraising targets are met or exceeded. This will be accomplished through:
- Develop and implement comprehensive plans for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding gifts for the assigned donor portfolio, including upgrading existing donors.
- Develop and implement strategies to nurture, solicit, close, and steward individual, corporate, church, foundation, and association donations with a capacity to invest $10,000+.
- Develop major prospect lists and assist the CDO, CEO, Leadership Executive and senior volunteers in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Working in collaboration with The Mustard Seed stakeholders and members of the Marketing & Communications team, develop personal correspondence and proposal materials for prospective donors to generate gifts for priority projects.
- Working with Major Gift and Development Services staff, recognize and steward donors as the gifts are received, assist in preparing donor updates and reports as required, and provide strategic direction of stewardship activities including recognition events and tours.
- Coordinate and participate in strategy and debrief meetings before & following donor/ stakeholder meetings.
- Foster good working relationships with key staff and new partnerships in the Calgary community.
- Integrate the organization’s strategic fundraising plan.
Leadership & Influence
- Elevate the reputation of The Mustard Seed and enhance donor loyalty to raise philanthropic contributions to support strategic priorities.
- Actively work with and support a Development Advisory Group of volunteers.
- Provide leadership through managing a small fundraising team (2-3 employees), providing support and mentorship to help them achieve team and individual goals.
- Collaborate with colleagues on donor management to facilitate effective transition from annual, middle, then to major gifts and planned giving pipelines.
- Coaching colleagues, volunteers and others on fundraising to maximize impact, sharing knowledge, ideas, and updates in a timely and effective manner, being mindful of competing schedules and deadlines.
- Build and nurture effective working relationships with key development volunteers within the community.
- Prepare an annual business plan together with the Development team.
- Provide regular progress reports to the CDO and CEO.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and techniques of charitable giving and become informed about the tax aspects of charitable gifts and new legislation and revenue rulings affecting such gifts.
- Collaborate with other Mustard Seed staff and department teams to further the mandate and goals of the ministry by maximizing organizational effectiveness and impact.
- Successfully manage fund raising resources (budget, executive, staff, volunteers).
- Represent The Mustard Seed at community gatherings with partners and donors.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- The successful candidate must have a minimum of 5 years relevant experience with a proven track record of fundraising success.
- Related undergraduate degree; CFRE designation is an asset.
- Superior interpersonal skills to engage, motivate and leverage stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Comfort working collaboratively or independently to conduct successful solicitations.
- Experience with Raisers Edge and/or Salesforce is an asset.
- Superior leadership, administration, planning and prioritization skills.
- Possess good listening and negotiation skills.
- Ability to professionally manage strategic partnerships with churches, consultants, businesses, and government representatives.
- Highly computer-literate with excellent Microsoft Office computer skills (must have).
- Strong attention to detail. Records all activities and steps of the engagement process utilizing our CRM system (Client Relationship Management) – Salesforce.
- This is a full-time permanent position based in Calgary
- Valid driver’s license needed for travel within Calgary and surrounding area
- Available to work occasional weekend and evening hours
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying Position Title and Location in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.