Development Officer, Major Gifts - Fund DevelopmentCompany: Alberta Cancer Foundation
Date Posted: May 2, 2017
Job Posting No: ACF-002-17
Location: Calgary, AB Position Close Date: May 31, 2017
The Alberta Cancer Foundation raises funds in support of cancer research, cancer screening and prevention, and enhanced patient care programs at Alberta’s 17 cancer centres including the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton and the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary.
We strive to be one of the most innovative, philanthropic organizations in Canada by delivering transformational results for Alberta cancer patients and their families.
As the largest philanthropic investor in cancer research in Alberta, we have the capacity and the relationships to invest in the most promising outcomes. We take a strategic approach to investing donor dollars, toward initiatives and programs
Reporting to the Director, Fund Development South, the position is part of the Fund Development team responsible for an integrated fundraising model. This position is specifically responsible for managing prospective and active donors who give in excess of $10k.
Responsibilities of the role include identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of new prospects and existing donors. As part of the commitment to the integrated fundraising model, this position will regularly seek existing (often transactional) donors who have capacity for larger support, including major gifts and planned gifts.
Fundraising & Donor Relationship management:
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors who are in various phases of the development cycle.
- Execute in the personal solicitation of assigned donors / sponsors.
- Using a variety of tools, including analytics, referrals, and prospect research, identify and qualify new major gift prospects for the pipeline.
- Manages personal relationships with assigned donors, establishing solicitation strategies to engage and move donors up the donor pyramid, recommending specific purposes aligning with Foundation priorities and level of gift.
- Identifies planned giving prospects and in collaboration with the Director, develops cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Represent major gift interests and perspectives in all Foundation activities.
- Develops networks with the research, medical staff & volunteers at the TBCC & other AHS Cancer Centres to create an understanding of, and to build trust in the Foundation.
- Maintains knowledge of major gift fundraising, how wealth is structured, estate planning and tax aspects of charitable gifts, including relevant CRA legislation.
- Takes the opportunities to attend Grand Oncology Rounds and medical seminars to remain current and knowledgeable re: oncology advancements.
Acknowledgment and Stewardship:
- Responsible for devising a stewardship plan for assigned donors/sponsors, in conjunction with the Manager of Stewardship.
- As appropriate, pursues stewardship tactics including tours, hosting meetings/events, distribution of progress reports to donors.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant discipline, including Business, Marketing, Communications, and/or combination of education, experience and training acceptable to the Foundation.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct fundraising experience in a charitable organization, demonstrating a track record in identifying and cultivating relationships. At least 2 years of experience in major gift fundraising (may include leadership giving).
- Intermediate level of experience in complexities of major gifts, their nuances and resolutions.
- Proven experience in nurturing and developing a prospect pipeline for specific fundraising cases that align the organization’s priorities with donors’ interests.
- Experience in the management of internal relationships both with other departments whose work directly impacts the required outcomes from this position and related internal stakeholders (front line cancer care staff).
- Previous experience in health care philanthropy is an asset.
- Successful candidates must present a current, valid criminal record check and vulnerable sector check prior to commencement for employment.
To formally apply, please put Job Posting No: ACF-002-17 in the Subject line and attach a resume and cover letter to the ACF email address email@example.com by May 31, 2017.
Alberta Cancer Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.